
Link to max file:
http://student-iat.ubalt.edu/sde/students/schaffhauser/cosc260/assn_3.max
Blog for assignment:
This assignment was pretty cool. It was definitely more time consuming than the previous ones, especially towards the end rendering to find out what the end product would come out looking like. I found it funny that the model that took the longest (the krill) is the hardest to really appreciate given its size. I could have made it bigger but I felt that would have been unrealistic to what the image is about.
As for the mapping I used various techniques for different things. The rock in the foreground is a UVW planed image. The other rocks are multi sub mapped, had images on the bump and diffuse. The ship is Multi-sub objected, it has about 6 different defined areas. The whale shark is also multi-sub object with sections for the top, bottom mouth and eyes. The krill is also a multiple sub map complex material, it was really hard to come out with a krill look so what I ended up doing was using a image of about a million krill to get the look haha. I didn't get into unwrap uvw as I don't have photoshop installed on any of my rigs at the moment and was just lacking the time to get real into arting it up.
I am proud at how the end result came out. I think it came out alot more realistic looking then I ever thought it would. The whale shark look was hard to pull off and while I dont think I nailed it I think I came up with a good alternative look to the shark. I wish krill were bigger so that the massive amount of time I put into that model could have been more prevalent in the final product. I would say my biggest challenge was getting the fog/caustics and lighting the way I wanted to. The time to render and see the changes was what made this harder in my opinion. Call me impatient haha. A fun assignment, learned more than I could explain in words and came out the other end a better modeler.
...Wow. That looks incredible. Realistic, great lighting, and otherwise perfect.
ReplyDeleteI love the little valley of rocks. It makes for great scenery.
ReplyDelete